Sunday, January 30, 2011

From Soggy to Bone Dry

January 30, 2011

I'm curious whether this form of garden journaling will be successful.  There is something to having a book and pen in hand while relaxing after working in the garden that feels more earthy and natural than a plastic keyboard and display screen.  I've spent over a decade detailing my gardening efforts on Mercer Island in an 8.5x8.5 inch five year record book.  Now held together by plastic packing tape, smudged by not so carefully washed fingers, and crammed with bits cut from gardening advice columns I'm dubious that my laptop will satisfy that tactile gardener need.  We'll see.   The Sunset Western Garden Book puts Mercer Island, Washington, in Marine Influence Along the Northwest Coast, Puget Sound, and South Vancouver Island: Zone 5 and Desert Center, California, in Southwest Deserts: Southern California Zone 13. In other words, I'm switching from soggy to bone dry.  I've got a lot to learn.

I'm not clear how to best organize this blog to be useful for my chronically of garden activity. I hope to record the vital statistics- plant adoptions and obituaries, seasonal changes, insights and remorses, and lots of visuals.  We'll just have to see how this medium adapts.

No comments:

Post a Comment